- Representative Matters
- Speeches & Events
Curtis C. Mechling focuses on complex commercial litigation with a specialization on bankruptcy-related matters. He has litigated commercial cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States, as well as before international tribunals.
For over twenty-five years, Mr. Mechling has represented individual claimants, creditors' committees, debtors, foreign liquidators and other parties in major corporate bankruptcy proceedings, including in recent years those of Caesars Entertainment, Enron, Adelphia Communications, China Medical Technologies, Commodore International, Harnischberger Industries, Semi-Tech Corporation and Trump Entertainment Resorts. In addition, he has assisted foreign liquidators from the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Canada, the Cayman Islands and other countries in recovering assets in the United States by prosecuting Chapter 15 and ancillary bankruptcy proceedings. He has been litigation counsel for public employee labor unions and others in the Chapter 9 bankruptcies of municipalities. Mr. Mechling has represented foreign governments, banks and individuals in proceedings to recover misappropriated assets located in the United States and overseas. He has also conducted investigations of alleged malfeasance by corporate officers and directors and has both prosecuted and defended claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty by insiders of insolvent corporations.
He has represented victims of Iran-sponsored terrorist acts in uncovering and seizing Iranian assets in the United States and has litigated on behalf of fiduciaries and beneficiaries in major trusts and estates litigations.
- As co-lead counsel for victims of Iran-sponsored terrorism, won summary judgment for the recovery in excess of $2 billion of frozen Iranian assets
- Represented U.S. bondholders and foreign liquidators in Chapter 15 bankruptcy proceedings and international fraud investigation arising from the collapse of China Medical Technologies
- Won summary judgment for the United Federation of Teachers and local teacher’s union in the Chapter 9 bankruptcy of Central Falls, Rhode Island
- Represented foreign liquidators in U.S. proceedings relating to the bankruptcies of Galleria USA and Galleria Hong Kong
- Represented foreign liquidators of Singapore and Indonesian shipping companies in Chapter 15 bankruptcy proceedings and U.S. litigation
- Won two-week plan confirmation trial that awarded control of Trump Entertainment Resorts to the ad hoc committee of bondholders
- Obtained a highly favorable settlement for a major lender to resolve $350 million in fraudulent conveyance and preference claims in the bankruptcy of Alliance Bancorp
- Served as lead litigation counsel for liquidating trust in worldwide proceedings to recover assets of Beloit Corporation
- Successfully defended former officers and directors in state and federal court litigation arising from the bankruptcy of Semi-Tech Corporation
- Represented former outside directors in an investigation into the collapse of Akai Holdings
- Fellow, INSOL International, 2008-present
- Member, 2006-2008
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute, 2002-present
- Member, Litigation Section, American Bar Association, 1990-present
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Brooklyn Law School
SPEECHES & EVENTS
- Lecturer, Litigation Under Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, District of Columbia Bar Association, 2014
- Guest Lecturer and Faculty Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Lecturer, New Federal Rules for Expert Disclosures - How the Amendments to FRCP 26 Affect Your Bankruptcy Practice, Practicing Law Institute, New York, 2011
- Lecturer, Ethics Issues in Electronic Discovery, New York State Bar Association
- Co-author, "Aurelius Decision: Creditors of an Insolvent Texas Company Can't Sue Directors Until After It’s Too Late," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, June 2014
- Co-author, "Shipping Companies Find a Safe Harbor in U.S. Bankruptcy Courts," New York Law Journal, March 2013
- Co-author, "Strategies for Multi-State Mortgage Foreclosure – New York Election of Remedies Statutes," Real Estate Finance, June 2009
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
New York, 1976
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan; U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit; U.S. Tax Court
J.D., Columbia Law School, 1975; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
A.B., Columbia University, 1972; Phi Beta Kappa
NEWSBack To Full Bio
James Bernard featured in "Litigator of the Week: Playing the Long Game for Victims of Terrorism"
July 6, 2017|As mentioned in: American Lawyer
Stroock Wins Trial Forcing Iran to Turn Over $1B Real Estate Assets Over Terror Claims
June 29, 2017|Press Release
James Bernard quoted in "Terror Funding Judgement Forces Iran to Turn Over $1 Billion in Real Estate Assets"
June 29, 2017|As mentioned in: citybizlist
Curtis C. Mechling quoted in "ABN Amro Queries Cocoa Supplier Over ‘Missing’ $313 Million"
January 20, 2017|As mentioned in: Bloomberg
90 Stroock Attorneys Recognized as 2016 Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”
September 22, 2016|Press Release
Supreme Court Victory for Terror Victims Against Iran
Court Rules Iran Bank must pay for Terrorism AttacksApril 22, 2016|Press Release
Stroock Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and "Rising Stars"
September 16, 2015
Stroock Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and "Rising Stars" in New York, Miami and Southern California
September 23, 2014
Super Lawyers Lists 58 Stroock Attorneys, One-Half of Firm’s Partnership
September 24, 2012
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles and Miami, announced that 57 Stroock partners and counsel have been named to Super Lawyers for 2012. One-half of the firm's partnership is currently listed in Super Lawyers.
Capital Markets Crisis Group Expansion
April 3, 2008
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"Stroock Wins Landmark Victory as Judge Orders Turnover of Over $1 Billion in U.S. Properties"
July 5, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
- A Guide to the Bankruptcy Law of the United StatesOctober 2016
- “Aurelius Decision: Creditors of an Insolvent Texas Company Can’t Sue Directors Until After It’s Too Late”June 2014|Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law
- "Aurelius Decision: Creditors of an Insolvent Texas Company Can’t Sue Directors Until After It’s Too Late"February 6, 2014|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “Shipping Companies Find a Safe Harbor in U.S. Bankruptcy Courts”March 4, 2013|New York Law Journal
- "Strategies for Multi-State Mortgage Foreclosure – New York Election of Remedies Statutes"February 17, 2009|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "Courts Act to Protect Borrowers on Option-ARM and Subprime Loans"February 15, 2008|Stroock Subprime Task Force Special Bulletin
- “Calyon New York Branch v. American Home Mortgage Corp.”February 5, 2008|Stroock Subprime Task Force Special Bulletin
EVENTSBack To Full Bio
IAIR 2016 Insurance Insolvency Workshop
February 24-26, 2016
Execution of Judgments Under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act
March 31, 2014
Impact on Bankruptcy Litigation of New Rules for Expert Discovery Under FRCP 26
January 26, 2011
- A Guide to the Bankruptcy Law of the United States