- Honors & Awards
- Speeches & Events
Anne Salladin joined Stroock after nearly 20 years of service in the Office of the Assistant General Counsel for International Affairs of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, which chairs the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (“CFIUS”). She is one of the only attorneys from Treasury with experience advising the chair of CFIUS to enter private practice.
As Senior Counsel at the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Ms. Salladin had responsibility for providing legal advice on CFIUS matters and participated in the review and investigation of well over 500 transactions filed with CFIUS, including most of the major Chinese acquisitions of U.S. businesses in recent years. These transactions involved companies or investors from nearly every leading world economy. She also participated in revising and implementing the CFIUS regulations.
In addition to her CFIUS work on behalf of the government, Ms. Salladin negotiated major government-to-government arrangements tied to the Mexican and Asian financial crises, and worked extensively on matters relating to sovereign wealth funds. She also has significant experience in sovereign debt restructuring.
In recognition of her significant contributions during her Treasury career, in particular her work on national security issues, Ms. Salladin is a recipient of the Secretary's Meritorious Service Award. The award citation notes that she was "indispensable in helping [CFIUS] to protect U.S. security in dozens of complex transactions" and is "widely acknowledged as an expert on sovereign debt, [and] a key player in the U.S. efforts to secure global economic stability through the design of sovereign debt restructuring regimes."
Before joining the Treasury Department, Ms. Salladin spent several years with a major international law firm in New York City, where she practiced corporate and securities law and was involved in international transactions. Ms. Salladin began her career as an officer with the Morgan Guaranty Trust Company of New York, where she had responsibility for relationships with Japanese financial institutions. Ms. Salladin has also been quoted frequently in the media, including the South China Morning Post, Bloomberg and Law360 among others.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Recipient of the U.S. Department of the Treasury Secretary's Meritorious Service Award
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, General Counsel's Award for Excellence in Legal Research and Writing
- Board Member, Friends of the Law Library of Congress, 2008-2013
- Board Member, Friends of the National Zoo, 2008-2013
- Board Member, Washington Foreign Law Society, 1998-2010
- Member, Trade Policy Forum
SPEECHES & EVENTS
- Speaker, “Foreign Investment and Competition Reviews: Increasing Interface,” ABA Spring Antitrust Meeting, Washington, DC, April 15, 2015
- Speaker, CFIUS's Web: From Pig Farms to the Waldorf - How Real Estate and Other Transactions Outside the Defense Sector May Trigger CFIUS Review, Practising Law Institute, Webcast, February 5, 2015
- Panelist, Navigating the Intersection of Foreign Investment Review and Merger Review, ABA International Committee - Foreign Investment Review Series, Webinar, January 21, 2015
- Speaker, CFIUS: Insights from the CFIUS Staff Chairperson, Practitioners & Industry, The District of Columbia Bar, Washington, DC, December 17, 2014
- Speaker, Ralls Corporation v. Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States: Is This Landmark Ruling the Dawn of Due Process for CFIUS? Practising Law Institute, Webinar, September 18, 2014
- Speaker, Inside the U.S. Black Box: CFIUS National Security Reviews of Foreign Acquisitions, Practising Law Institute, Webinar, June 18, 2014
- Panelist, "Deal Planning and Management in Cross-Border Mergers," GCR Live 2nd Annual Foreign Investment Review, New York, NY, June 13, 2014
- Participant, Ambassador's Investment Forum on Infrastructure, U.S. Embassy, Beijing, China, May 19, 2014
- Speaker, CFIUS Regulations and FINSA Compliance: Surviving Heightened Federal Scrutiny, Strafford Webinar, May 7, 2014
- Speaker, "CFIUS and U.S. National Security: What You Need to Know About Investment in the United States," American Chamber of Commerce, Hong Kong, April 24, 2014
- Panelist, "Where We Are Today And Where Are We Going?" Institute Fund Summit 2014 Asia, Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute, Hong Kong, April 23-24, 2014
- Speaker, National Defense University Symposium, Washington, DC, December 17, 2013
- Participant, "Chinese Investment in U.S. High Tech: An Asia Society and Rhodium Group Report," Asia Society Washington Center, December 13, 2013
- Panelist, "Private National Security Law Practice: CFIUS," Georgetown National Security Law Society, Georgetown University Law Center, November 12, 2013
- Speaker, Chinese Investment and US National Security Reviews, Practicing Law Institute, Webcast, July 2013
- Participant, Roundtable on Sovereign Debt Contracts, Treasury Department, 2013
- Speaker, CFIUS Fundamentals, American Bar Association, 2009
- Speaker, Sovereign Wealth Funds – Governance and Regulation, Asian Society of International Law, National University of Singapore, 2009
- Speaker, Laws Applicable to Sovereign Wealth Funds, Georgetown Journal of International Law Symposium on Sovereign Wealth Funds, Georgetown University Law Center, 2009
- Keynote Speaker, Global Legal Information Network Annual Conference, Law Library of Congress, 2006
- Participant, Conference on Sovereign Debt – The View From the Legal Academy, Georgetown University Law Center, 2004
- Co-author, "More CFIUS Cases are Going to Full Investigation," Stroock Special Bulletin, March 5, 2015
- Co-author, "CFIUS post-Ralls: Ramifications for Sovereign Wealth Funds," International Review of Law, 2015
- Co-author, "Bankruptcy Issues The Defense Industry Should Think About," Bankruptcy, Aerospace & Defense and Government Contracts Law360, April 3, 2014
- Co-author, "Issues Relevant to the Defense Industry in the Bankruptcy Context," Stroock Special Bulletin, March 26, 2014
- Co-author, "CFIUS Annual Report Highlights Chinese Investment and Signals Tougher Reviews," Stroock Special Bulletin, January 9, 2014
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
District of Columbia; New York
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1988; Editor-in-Chief, Virginia Journal of International Law, 1987-88
B.A., cum laude, Williams College, 1979; Phi Beta Kappa
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Chinese Buyers Appear Undaunted As CFIUS Toughens Up
March 2, 2015|As mentioned in: Law360
Chinese tech firms more confident in facing U.S. national security review
March 2, 2015|As mentioned in: South China Morning Post
South China Morning Post: Chinese investors ignore the CFIUS review at their own peril
December 15, 2014
Waldorf Sale to Chinese Risks Review Over Spying Concerns
November 8, 2014|As mentioned in: Bloomberg Businessweek
Stroock Forum Highlights Surge In Chinese Investment
October 14, 2014
Former Treasury Department Senior Counsel Anne Salladin Joins Stroock & Stroock & Lavan
October 23, 2013
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"CFIUS post-Ralls: Ramifications for sovereign wealth funds"
March 10, 2015|International Review of Law: Special Issue on Sovereign Wealth Funds
"More CFIUS Cases are Going to Full Investigation"
March 5, 2015|Stroock Special Bulletin
"2014 Regulatory and Compliance Ups and Downs - Developments of Interest to Foreign Investors and Others in the National Security Sector"
January 26, 2015|Stroock Special Bulletin
New Rule Requires Reporting Foreign Investment in U.S. Businesses and Real Estate: Reporting Deadline for 2014 is January 12, 2015
December 18, 2014|Stroock Special Bulletin
"Bankruptcy Issues The Defense Industry Should Think About"
April 3, 2014|Bankruptcy, Aerospace & Defense and Government Contracts Law360
"CFIUS Annual Report Highlights Chinese Investment and Signals Tougher Reviews"
January 9, 2014|Stroock Special Bulletin
EVENTSBack To Full Bio
ABA's 63rd Antitrust Spring Meeting
April 15-17, 2015
PLI's "CFIUS's Web: From Pig Farms to the Waldorf - How Real Estate and Other Transactions Outside the Defense Sector May Trigger CFIUS Review"
February 5, 2015
ABA: Navigating the Intersection of Foreign Investment Review and Merger Review
January 21, 2015
PLI: Ralls Corporation v. Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States: Is This Landmark Ruling the Dawn of Due Process for CFIUS?
September 18, 2014
Strafford's "CFIUS Regulations and FINSA Compliance: Surviving Heightened Federal Scrutiny"
May 7, 2014